Careers at REIN
Help us simplify the insurance experience?
Full Stack Software Developer
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Job Type: Full-time
REIN is a venture backed technology company building a smarter insurance and risk platform for an autonomous world. We’re an up and coming company, which is focusing first on drones and drone insurance and then moving on to other autonomous vehicles. We have an intelligent and motivated staff – many of whom have worked together for years at several successful entrepreneurial companies. With offices in Massachusetts and North Carolina, we’re very excited to expand our Halifax team.
As a Full Stack Software Developer at REIN, you will be an integral member of a small technology team working on internal and external facing applications and tools. The Backend Developer supports the improvement of our near-launch core products and helps create our next generation of cutting edge tech. We are interested in candidates who are also looking to expand their skillsets and are interested in working toward becoming full stack engineers.
Superstars in Ruby on Rails are our ideal candidates! We’re spinning up the team in Halifax to work with our US engineering staff. If you have a passion for developing applications that end-users love, are comfortable with independent and collaborative work, and are at home in a small organization where they can make a real difference then please apply!
Candidates should be prepared to share examples of code they’ve developed and be willing to take a coding test.
Responsibilities and duties
- Manage timelines and development of code base via AGILE processes
- Work with US and offshore development teams to ensure delivery of desired functionality
- Contribute individually and participate collaboratively with the engineering team
- Attend daily Scrum meetings, weekly company meetings and conference calls
- Other tasks as assigned or agreed upon with your supervisor
Qualifications and skills
- 1 – 3 years of professional experience using Ruby on Rails
- Relational Database experience, PostgreSQL, etc.
- Distributed Version Control – Git / Github
- Experience working with and developing RESTful APIs
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable with partial remote work
- Experience with modern web and application development practices: continuous integration, scrum or agile development, don’t repeat yourself (DRY) frameworks, automated deployment and provisioning
- BS degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
We like to see (but not required)
- Experience and knowledge with some of these additional technologies: ansible, docker, ubuntu, nginx, redis, GraphQL, PHP
- Professional experience using ES6 or TypeScript
- Up-to-date knowledge of HTML5 / CSS
Company subsidized health care plans, available dental & life insurance plans, flexible working conditions & unlimited coffee!